Owen and me

Owen and me
My first grandson one day old.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Natural/biological/birth

We often hear biological parents of children referred to as the “natural” parents. This negatively implies that there is something unnatural about being an adoptive parent. Biological parents should simply be referred to as biological parents.

Personally I don't like to use any thing to distinguish me as mom.  I only use natural or adoptive on my blog to distinguish between the two sets of parents.  I can not fathom how natural=unnatural and birth mother does not equal death mother. 

In our society we allow each culture and race to be called as they wish.  It is only in adoption that we as mothers that gave up our children are told by others with the power (adoptive parents and agencies) what we should be called.  What is respectful to them.  What about us?  What about what we want to be called.  I can not stand to see the word "BM".  When you write down those 2 letters are you referring to bowel movement or to a person?

3 comments:

  1. EXACTLY! I am her mom - period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. There is this one blog that use the term BM and her Mother. It ticks me off that she writes out the full term Mother but uses BM. I think it shows disrespect and even more so when someone has kindly told you how BM means poop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried when I first came on the internet to use the qualifiers but then decided - not doing that anymore. If you cannot figure out which parent I am speaking of then you weren't listening well enough and don't bother reading further...

    But then I am known to be grumpy...

    Enjoying your posts on the language and yes - the opposite of birth is death as in the cycle of life but apparently facts aren't all that important in adoption.

    ReplyDelete