My parents came into town on Saturday night and we had a family get together on Sunday. There was about 25 of us all together but some of my family was missing. I had one brother and sister (and her 2 boys) missing, my sister lives in Oregon and couldn't make it, my brother is not into family functions. The only other ones missing was Owen and Alyssa. We had an amazing time together. We tease and joke around a lot. There are teenagers and young adults running around. My kids and nieces and nephews are each others best friends. There really isn't a dull moment when we are all together. No subjects are off limits except politics and religion. We tease each other and enjoy one another.
About 5:00 or 6:00 Cassie was getting really moody. She was hormonal and just sad. After asking what was wrong she finally said that she just wanted her whole family together for once. She wanted her sister and Owen with us at the family get togethers. She didn't understand why the stupid laws didn't want her family together. I held her let her be sad but told her that even though it was okay to be sad and cry we also had to enjoy the family we had there at that moment. We couldn't waste the time we had together with part of the family just because the whole family wasn't together.
I don't know if she took my advice to heart or not. I do want all of my kids to be grateful for what they do have and enjoy the life and family they have. We will not always be able to see the family on a weekly basis. We need to be able to enjoy the moments we do have with them.
Below is a very short video we did for my parents and gave to them this weekend. Growing up when I was about 6 years old we did this song with my whole immediate family (all 9 of us) at a family reunion. Each family was supposed to pick their talent. We can not sing or dance but my parents had us do this anyways. I think I saw a tear come to my dads eye as he watched us now as adults and with a few of the grand kids do this song again for him and mom. I wonder was my dad crying because we are so off key?
How fun! And yes, an important lesson to learn. Enjoy every moment with family, no matter how incomplete, it is still a treasure. Alyssa and Owen were there in your spirits, so you were together in a sense... making me think of this saying:
ReplyDeleteWe may not have it all together, but together we have it all!
I thought the same thing while we were there. I would have loved Allysa and Owen and Ian there. I hope one day soon we can have at least Allysa and Ian there as a start. I can't wait for the day to meet Owen. Maybe one day the family can all meet him together. I love you and Cassie so much. I can't understand fully how hard this must be for you and your family but I do understand the part where you miss them and want them all here.
ReplyDelete