Owen and me

Owen and me
My first grandson one day old.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

My crazy week

I have had quite a week with my kids.  Alyssa is in Hawaii with her boyfriend.  I have talked to her twice but not our normal multi-daily conversations.  I am missing her a lot.  I know she needs to get away to deal with the pain and loss of placing Owen.  Holidays are so hard when you have lost all of your natural family to adoption.

Cassie has been dealing with major drama at middle school.  She has a face book page, yes I know she is young but it was the only way a year ago to interact with her sister.  I have allowed her to keep it but I have all her settings on private. I know her passwords and I check it at least daily.  Sometimes I check it multiple times a day.  A week ago last Friday a girl put up some really inappropriate things on my daughters page.  I'm talking about cussing, calling names, everything.  It was really bad and I won't repeat it here.  I caught it within about 15 minutes of it being put on Cassie's wall.  I put a message on this girls wall.  It simply said what you wrote on my daughter's wall was very inappropriate and I will be bringing it to the principal on Monday. 

I was really hoping this girls parents would be checking her face book page so they knew what was going on.  My daughter goes to school in a great area in a really good neighborhood.  The only problem is there are a lot of older parents that aren't into new technology.  They don't know how to monitor their kids in cyberspace.  Probably about 1/4 of the kids have been raised by nannies more than their parents.

Well my daughters friends saw the post that was put up on Cassie's page.  They all defended my daughter.  The problem was they took it too far.  They were starting to respond back with mean things.  I wanted the problem to be handled appropriately by adults.  So I commented on the original post and just told everyone that it would be handled on Monday.  What was written was wrong but not to do anything to this other child.  Really picking on the other girl will help no one.  I was afraid everything would be blown out of proportion by middle school drama. 

What was really sweet was Alyssa commented too.  She handled it very maturely but protected her little sister too.  Later Alyssa told me sometimes it sucks being over 18 and having to be legally responsible for your actions.  Oh baby I get that.  All I wanted to do was protect my lil one from a mean drama filled middle school brat but I had to be the adult and treat this other kid the way I would want my daughter treated. 

First thing Monday morning my husband and I went to the principal.  She saw the posting and was not very happy about it.  She said what was done was considered cyber bullying and I could go to the police also.  I did not want to bring it that far.  I thought the appropriate thing to do was let the school and parents deal with it. 

It ends up that the things written was through the girls Ipod.  Her Ipod was stolen a month before at the school.  So someone did write those things through this girls account but we don't know who did it.  The girls parents were embarrassed that this happened at all.  I do totally get that. I would be humiliated if someone thought my kids were picking on anyone else.   I would be embarresed that I wasn't watching what my kids put in cyber world. 

That was Mondays and last weekends craziness.

My husband does out side sales, each Christmas I bake desert trays for his top 15 - 20 customers.  I spend several weeks staying up all hours baking.  I usually start baking at 7pm, after dinner is made and I'm off of work.  Several nights this week I was up until past midnight baking.  So far I have made 11 trays of desserts.  Now my kids are asking for dessert trays for their friends and some of their teachers.  Who needs sleep right?

My husband got  a cold a week ago.  Luckily he takes care of himself and doesn't complain much.  He hardly ever takes time off of work and this is no different.  He takes cold medicine and he is on his way with life.  It seems that Alex, Kenny, and Cassie are getting colds too.  They need a lot of attention when they aren't feeling well. 

Cassie has started to hear alot of rumors about herself these past few weeks.  None are true but it still is hard on her emotionally.  I think there are a lot of us who know how cruel other teenagers can be, especially girls are to each other.

Cassie had a heart to heart with Kenny last night.  They are 2 grades apart but only a year and a half apart in age.  He is in high school and is mature and responsible in her eyes.  I call them my twins because they are so much alike in their personality.  They think alike and usually do their evil plans together too.  They are either fighting with each other or plotting against some one.

Kenny came to me last night and said,  "Mom Cassie is getting picked on (I already knew that) and I want to put something up as my face book status.  I need your approval."  He showed me what he wanted to write.  Basically it said that his lil sister has had rumors spread about her none of it is true and he wants it to stop.  Wow how many teen age boys would do that for their little sister.  I asked him to change the wording slightly but overall it was okay.  He wasn't asked to protect her, he wanted to.  He didn't want his lil sis to be hurt and he felt it was appropriate to make it known on a public forum.  Cassie said it is a little weird that her brother loves her so much.  She said our family is odd because we like to be together and we always do things for each other.  She told me it's weird normal families don't show they love each other like we do.  We talk about everything too, nothing is off limits.

Yes as my niece tells me,  we are "special".

No comments:

Post a Comment